Sunday 15 March 2009

Abandoned Dogs

I'm a bit hurt. Wounded, in fact. She and a whole load of other humans have been going around twitching, talking about red noses, the spring weather, the great spotted woodpecker and I just haven't had a look-in. She's been neglecting me and I've had no chance whatsoever to do any writing. But she's gone off to get dressed at last and has left the laptop on. It's a bit fiddly for my paws though, I have to say, because it's a new one and very small. I think I preferred it when she used His all the time. Anyway, let's not waste time talking about that.

The Spring Equinox approaches and I think She's into a new phase of cleaning. I say this because the other day, I was bathed. In a bath. Yes, THEIR bath. This is because apparently, until the loft conversion gets done (whatever that is), we only have one bathroom and no shower cubicle unlike the last place where there were two. So I was bathed by two ladies. Slightly undignified getting in and out. She even compared the process to lifting an old-fashioned television where the heaviest part is at the front (and I am not saying anything so rude about her) and they each man-handled me in and out by taking one end each. And then, then she said that the water wasn't as dirty as she expected it to be. I mean, how dare she? Obviously, I haven't had so much chance to season my coat with the fragrances of the land like I used to because they don't let me out on my own anymore. I was just a sitting duck for the jugs of water they kept pouring over my ears which haven't felt the same since. This is what happens when you get old. It is SO undignified. What happened to me? What they need is to put up a gate, something to keep me in, let me out to run around safely so that I can add some colour to the sterile water.

Oh, and another thing, I witnessed something very disturbing the other day, something I hope had no symbolic significance. The small humans were tearing up a picture into hundreds of tiny pieces. And the picture? It was a picture of a black wolf, a mythical creature with red eyes which had, by all accounts, been giving them nightmares. I keep telling myself. It was a picture and it was nothing to do with me, nothing more than, say, Little Red Riding Hood or Peter and the Wolf ..... did anyone else hear that quacking?

No comments: