Tuesday 18 August 2009

Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed

One of my humans' many shortcomings is that they have a very narrow outlook on life. When was the last time you saw your own one following a scent on the ground? They miss all the most interesting clues.

I attribute this partially to their slowness to wake up. I am awake long before I show any outward signs to them. This has its pitfalls too. I'm fed up with being kicked and prodded and having my pulse felt. Eventually, I have to raise an eyebrow just so they'll stop it. But when I do get up, albeit more slowly than I used to, I am raring to go.

You should see her in the mornings. Listen, I'm a dog and even I wouldn't go out in the front garden looking like that. I don't do dressing gowns. No one with any sense does. You're either up or your down. What's with this in-between stage? I'll tell you. It's the bit when the best information is out there. Opportunities. The chance to track a good, strong and fresh smell. When they do have all their faculties at their disposal, they're so preoccupied with their own smells, smothering them with stuff from cans and bottles that they miss the whole lot. A human tragedy.

2 comments:

pierre l said...

Speaking your mind as ever. Nice to have you back Monty. Please look after your humans.

Kathryn said...

Yes, thank you Pierre. I've kept quiet for far too long. And that's another story.