Friday 13 June 2008

Call me old

Call me old, call me old-fashioned if you like but I think that routine is important. It’s all about expectations, the rhythm of life and knowing where you stand with people. For this reason – and no other I can think of whatsoever – I enjoy continuing the long tradition of my kind; to greet people with a gift at the door.

As you know, my hearing is fading fast to the point that I am at last getting a little peace and quiet. Perhaps a little too much but have no fear, it is interrupted most brutally from time to time. And here is my dilemma. It’s a tricky balance to achieve; if I don’t wait by the door, I’ve no idea when they’ve come in and they start shouting ‘Hello Monty!’ repeatedly in my face and slapping me on the shoulders. If I do wait there, I get bashed to bits when the door opens so it’s a lose-lose situation.

I suppose that it’s nearly retirement time. For my entire life I’ve collected an array of different items for the greeting gift: shoes, slippers, a naked doll which startled a passer-by who, viewing through the open door with poor eyesight thought the worst, dirty socks, junk mail, kitchen implements, the little girl’s transitional object which I resist referring to as ‘Katie’, crumbling, abstract Lego models and an assortment of cuddly toys. It’s a generational thing, you know and I’d be the first to admit that there is a certain amount of weirdness attached to this practice. One thing I do know is that I’m not alone because I once heard her comparing notes with her friend.

I wonder if her friend’s dog has the same problems as I do: tidier uppers. How am I supposed to do my job properly when I can’t find anything? Is it any wonder I’m permanently exhausted? I bet she wouldn’t like it if, when she was about to sit down to some writing, I hid her laptop in a cupboard.

Anyway, it’s been my job for 92 years and maybe it’s time to ease off a bit. As long as She doesn’t take it as a sign that I don’t need walking anymore. Just because I can’t hear or because my eyesight is a little cloudy, doesn’t mean that I can’t I think. It doesn’t mean that I don’t hear the birds singing, the rabbits scurrying into the undergrowth and the peacocks screeching like monkeys. I can smell the honeysuckle and that tells me that all these things are out there so that I can paper the inside of my head with pictures of days gone by. I still appreciate things. I still appreciate everyone; that’s what Labradors do, we’re eager to please. I hope She understands that. I hope she understands that one day I won’t be here, looking for something to bring to her, not even in the background. There’s irony for you; you spend your whole life looking for something that isn’t there and then one day you’re not there. She’ll be sad. They all will.

Mind you, the other morning I think I offended her. She came downstairs early and sat down. Evidently, I didn’t hear her (this story has been recounted many times) and the first clue I gave as to my continuing existence in this world was when I lifted my nose into the air, followed the trail of scent (the smell) in an arc towards the sofa. Of course, I was then able to get up and look appreciative – and let’s face it, at my age, every morning you wake up is a bonus – but I think it was too late. The damage was done: either she knows I’m decrepit or I’m seen as some sort of miscreant. As I said, a lose-lose situation.

2 comments:

pierre l said...

My cat sometimes watches the door as well; but he does it by sitting on the window-sill. Unfortunately, you are somewhat large to sit on a window sill.

I am sure that your humans are delighted to be greeted when they come home, so it's worth the effort and the occasional injury.

Kathryn's Daily Writing Workout said...

You may be right, Pierre. I'm not sure that I'd be allowed to sit on the windowsill. I think I may come back as a cat.