Sunday 6 July 2008

The nerve of it


There was one thing I forgot to mention the other day and it was probably the most important of all. With all the moving of furniture, my bed is now under the table in the kitchen (the one which was in the kitchen, then the hallway, then the kitchen and then moved to its current position in the kitchen) and this has good and bad implications.

Firstly, I have my own space, clearly defined by the boundaries of the four very substantial legs (substantial because it's one of those farmhouse tables)and it is mine alone. After all, no one else wants to get under there with me and anyway, I can always discourage that if need be by chewing my groin and making snuffling and slurping noises. I'm pretty safe from children climbing in and making by blankets sticky with anything not of doggy origins.

Secondly - and I think I might've mentioned this before - I'm less likely to be kicked in the face as She's on her way to the fridge as was the situation before the reshuffle.

It's all good so far. There are only two potential difficulties: one, I admit to being a little more jumpy these days since I lost my hearing and I'll have to be careful when startled as this could have a detrimental effect upon my skull. Secondly, I've noticed that my bed isn't getting made up as often as it was. What I need is one of those signs humans put outside their hotel rooms when they want their rooms serviced. Anyone got one?

4 comments:

pierre l said...

Hello Monty. I think that if you leave your towel on the floor, then your bed will be cleaned. If you put your towel on the rail, then she will assume your bed is OK.

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the advice Pierre. I'll give it a go!

cheryl63 said...

Oh Monty - you look so sad sat under the table.
Will people still eat at this table?, and will you be able to obtain lots of crumbs from above?

Kathryn said...

Don't worry, Cheryl - the table I sit underneath is not used for them to eat at but they do cut the bread there and you know how messy that can be. Sometimes they leave a little crust a little too near the edge and it just falls off into my mouth, especially when they're not around. They eat at the other table in the kitchen so I still have the opportunity to look sad whilst they have dinner. It's a win-win situation really.