Friday 15 August 2008

Neighbours

She always watches Neighbours and during this time, I get pointed out and so do the little humans for so much as breathing too loudly. I could be in more than a little trouble for mentioning the fact because She tries to pretend she's intellectual and this is clearly not a current affairs programme or a documentary. At least I thought not. Today, I received an email from Jacquie the Jack Russell in Australia and the Gold Coast goings on are indeed worthy of a soap opera:

Hi Monty
I thought I'd tell you this doggy tale about a fellow Jack Russell (male) who had adventures in the night. Oscar lives with some pommy humans on the hill above Burleigh Beach. In the gum trees live a colony of Koalas and recently it has been the mating season. Oscar's house has a véranda on which he is required to sleep at night. A little known fact outside Australia is that during the Koala mating season the young males make very loud nocturnal noises like pigs snorting. On just such a night last week Oscar was guarding his patch on the véranda and going ballistic at the koalas. He not only kept his own humans awake but also the whole neighbourhood. The male pommy human got up and scooped up Oscar from his veranda guard post and pushed him into the bathroom. There were also that night, a family of possoms partying on the roof and making a noise. Oscar, on hearing them, continued to bark and this time it echoed extremely loudly, causing even more disturbance than before. The male pommy human had to get out of bed and remove Oscar from the bathroom and put him back on the veranda. He then went back to bed. Unfortunately he didn't realise that Oscar had been so excited in the bathroom that he had deposited a number 2 on the floor. The male pommy human was in bed when all pandémonium broke out again. They had to wash his feet and change the sheets on the bed! Needless to say Oscar was in disgrace and no-one in the house would talk to him for 2 days.

Best regards,
Jacquie


Nice job, if you'll pardon the pun. I suppose koalas and possums are our equivalent of badgers and foxes. I, too, have fond memories of giving them sleepless nights over the activities in the garden. Unfortunately, I'm not so quick to react these days and last time I tried it, She stomped downstairs,drew the curtains and sent me to bed. However, She always leaves their bedroom windows wide open and by the look of her, the wildlife in the garden is doing a good job of keeping her awake without my assistance. In fact, I've seen her hanging out of the window when it's dark. At one point, I was a little worried that she was developing a strange badger fixation, only one step away from the total madness of watching Neighbours. But now, having received this email, I'm beginning to wonder; perhaps there's more to it than I realised. After all, there are two dogs in the programme. I could always call it research .....

No comments: